Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Conquered Worm

(this is a piece I wrote back in October, as a school assignment to try and rewrite Poe's story "Ligeia", but from the POV of the Lady Rowena. It is to become a part of a meta-story I am writing as an  Honors Project in 19th Century American Lit. It is a Poe-centric tale that merges his world with that of two other writers...)

CW: violence, murder, Poe


If I know one thing for certain, it is that I will not be alive when I finish this story. I wish to say that at the beginning. But this is no cheap horror and there will be no sudden drop off mid-sentence, the last word collapsing into some scrawling mess, as if dragged off the page; there will be no easy mystery, explained and summed with reason. If there is any change of tone in this writing, you will know that is some other hand at work than mine. Likewise, if this story is paired with anything other than a happy ending.
            Did I know my betrothed had been married before? Yes, of course. That sort of thing is acceptable in Men of Good Society, at least. But we women, we are not offered that freedom cheaply, any more than we may choose not marry at all. For myself, I surrendered to wear none of that shame, dutiful daughter of a modest family, and while the circumstances of our courtship seemed unremarkable enough to anyone auditing them, I knew even then that much of the man I was marrying was not all there. No, I am not calling him stupid, and clearly, he was a man of means (which is why my family so pressed me to accept his vague and nervous courtship). So, with such finality as I imagine one who has resigned themselves to the gallows should bear—I said yes. And so, he carried me over the threshold of his house, but not his heart. Never his heart.
            He did not live in a house, as such, though a grand former abbey, it was. But I felt no more at home, no more welcome, no more included, than if he had carried me through the door of a museum. Everything about the place felt sterile and severe; that it was unacceptable for me to touch anything, or even look at it too closely, or question too deep. I never felt more removed from my beloved family as at that moment I first beheld the monstrously over-stuffed silence that had every object and shape in the house in talons quiet, but no less fast or merciless.
            As I realized my husband was a man I would never truly love, I knew my death lay within these walls. Its quiet shroud loomed over everything, much like the Venetian glass that covered the south wall of the marital bed chamber. Where the former oppressed all sound of joy in the, the latter seemed to poison the very air, day and night. Even calling where we slept “the marital bed” is misleading. He never touched me. At first, I assumed he might be nervous too. I didn’t yet suspect another woman was part of the picture. Much less that she was, in fact, the entire picture.
            The first time he mentioned her name, Ligeia, I was the compassionate wife, bringing succor to my grieving husband as he murmured the beginning of what would become his dull and repetitive chant. He spoke with a passion that was truly surprising. I honestly did not know he had it within him. He certainly showed none of it in the bedroom of our sexless marriage. I even forgave him the constant perfume of opium that rose off him, like the vapors of a ghost, for had not my love been tormented by ill fortune, so? I suppressed a shivering fit as an unearthly chill ran straight through me. At the time, I thought I was just imagining it, a by-product of my emotional reaction to his tragedy.
            But the silence was haunted, as was the house, and not simply by his adulation of Ligeia’s memory. I often felt a presence behind me, in a room, or hall, or staircase, only to turn around and behold nothing but the empty air. Often, while falling asleep, I would startle awake, sure I had heard my own name whispered into my ear. Again, no one. Unless you count my husband, upon whom, for reasons of opium and otherwise, I increasingly did not. The first time this happened, I was truly startled and perhaps can be forgiven for leaning on his attention and entertaining his reassurances. That was when I still thought of his as a husband, and I was still something that could be called his wife.
            But that presence that woke me from sleep remained, and the hauntings continued—if they could be correctly called hauntings. The next time I was woken, I did not cry out, even as I beheld the sight of her standing, pale and transparent, by the side of the bed, her spectral form shot through with moonlight. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, and I had no fear of her. More than anything I have ever felt before, I wanted to be moonlight with her. I loved her, and wished for her, with everything I had and that was the truth of it.
            In wordless exchange, she described to me the how, and I wept to her that the when could not come soon enough.
            Though we moved forward with our plan with patience and craft manifested on both sides of the mortal coil, I was amazed that my husband could sense as much of what was going on as he did. Perhaps it was the opium that allowed him some dim awareness of Ligeia’s presence and movements, but as I have said before, he was always a self-obsessed dullard. I’m sure he thought he knew what was going on and that it was about him.
            There are stories, both colloquial and those portrayed in Myth, of people dying from simply losing the will to live, often after the death of their soulmate. I guess that is how it was between Ligeia and I, though I had not known her in life, and I did not move towards death from a broken heart, but rather one grown full to bursting.  She would come to me and our embrace would leave me pale and shivering, but that was just my body. My soul would swoop to dizzying heights under her invisible caress, and she would leave me shuddering and sobbing from the pleasure.
            Once, in his absent attendance to my appearance of suffering from a wasting disease, he brought me medicinal wine, and for a moment, I thought Ligeia and I were betrayed to him. She kissed me and her phantom, happy tears dripped into my glass, crossing over from the ether into this world. Did he see? Did he suspect? No, he only beheld with a stupefied look on his face and murmured something about “drops of blood.” My idiot husband, no doubt, believed Ligeia was returning from the other side. And while he was correct in this, he was entirely wrong about why.

            Tonight, for one last time, she will walk to me from her side of the veil and I will move towards her from mine. We will meet, and my soul will become her flesh and I will see through her eyes. We will be made One, I, who was once a mortal woman, and Ligeia who, even when my dear husband met her in that decaying city on the Rhine, was always something… else. We will be beautiful and terrible, and nothing of what he expects.

No comments:

Post a Comment